Am I required to have worker’s comp insurance for my business in Dallas, Texas?

No workplace whether it’s Dallas, Texas, El Paso, New Mexico, Arlington, or elsewhere, is safe from accidents which is why you need workers compensation for the protection of your workers and your business. A fall from scaffolding or a slip on the stage stairs after rehearsal with only a work light for illumination can result in serious worker injury. Even something like a repetitive motion involving the keyboard or mouse where things aren’t at the proper level can cause carpal tunnel syndrome, incapacitation, and sometimes the need for surgery.

It’s the employer’s responsibility to properly maintain adequate furniture, equipment, and supervised access. In the case of the keyboard and mouse injury, the desk was old and falling apart. Additionally, the assistant, who was afraid to say anything, had no keyboard or mouse shelf extension. When months of medical treatment didn’t work, she ended up with surgery.

The actress who slipped on the stage stairs in Ft. Worth, Texas also fractured her ribs on the orchestra rail and landed face down in shock on the concrete floor under the first row orchestra seats. Fortunately, someone in the front office heard her scream and called EMS. The actress couldn’t walk much less work for two weeks. It’s management’s responsibility to lock the door after rehearsal so that no one could enter.

As your independent agent, we learn of unfortunate accidents from new clients. With our clients, it rarely happens. They know better, and they’re fully covered with commercial insurance, health insurance and workers compensation.

They know that all they have to do is pick up the phone. And, that’s what we’re suggesting that you do with any questions you might have. We’re happy to share information, so please contact us.

Are there special coverage options for new cars in Dallas, TX?

For many people, a brand-new car is a considerable investment that merits the best protection available. While liability insurance coverage offers basic protection against the costs associated with medical injury in the event of an auto accident, it may not be enough to fully protect your vehicle under certain circumstances.

If you recently purchased a new car in Dallas, Ft.Worth, El Paso or any of the surrounding areas in Texas and New Mexico, you may be wondering if there are any special coverage options available for new cars. These special options offer additional protection for new car owners.

Comprehensive coverage – This coverage is actually mandatory for those who either lease or finance their vehicle. This coverage pays for repairs or replacement in the event of theft, vandalism, natural disaster or fire.

Collision coverage – Also mandatory for those who lease or finance, this option covers repairs or replacement after an accident.

Emergency roadside assistance – This coverage provides new car owners with roadside assistance in the event of a breakdown.

Rental car coverage – In the event your vehicle is in the shop for an insurance repair or is otherwise totaled by an accident, this coverage takes care of your rental car costs.

Gap coverage – If your settlement does not cover the remaining amount on your lease or loan after paying the car’s actual cash value, this coverage handles that amount.

Customized parts and equipment coverage – If you plan on adding any aftermarket equipment such as additional speakers and subwoofers, you may want to consider this special option.

As your independent agent, we can tell you plenty more about the special coverage options at your disposal. If you have any other questions or concerns, don’t hesitate to give us a call.

My friend and I share an apartment in Dallas, TX. Will her renter’s policy cover my possessions?

If you rent an apartment, house, or condominium in Dallas, Texas, you probably have a lot of valuable items that could easily be stolen or lost in a disaster. While a homeowner can cover their items in their homeowner’s insurance policy, your landlord’s insurance policy will not cover your personal items if they are destroyed. This is why it is important for you and your roommate to understand the ins and outs of renter’s insurance.

What Renter‘s Insurance Covers

Renter’s insurance is a form of insurance that covers the belongings of tenants of a rental property. If your rented home is destroyed by theft, vandalism, or a natural disaster, renter’s insurance will compensate you for the value of any destroyed items that are covered under the policy. If a friend or visitor is injured while visiting your home, renter’s insurance can also offer liability protection so that you’re protected against lawsuits.

Roommates Under Renter‘s Insurance

Renter’s insurance policies don’t just automatically extend to cover the belongings of you and your roommate, so you will need to get onto your roommate’s policy to get covered. However, it is also possible to get covered under a separate policy if you prefer to have your own insurance plan.

How an Independent Agent Can Help

Because most people are less aware of renter’s insurance, it can be difficult for first-time policyholders to navigate through the options and determine which of their possessions will be covered. It can also be difficult to determine whether it will be beneficial to obtain a joint or individual plan to cover all of your possessions. An independent agent can help you decide whether it’s a good idea to share a plan with your friend or whether you would save by purchasing your own separate policy. So contact us today to speak with an independent agent about renter’s insurance.

Does my Insurance change if I am leasing my car instead of buying in Arlington, TX?

Arlington drivers might be able to save significantly by leasing a car from a Texas auto dealer. However, you will need to factor in the cost of auto insurance when deciding whether to buy or lease a car. Here are a few types of insurance that you might need if you change from buying a vehicle to leasing a vehicle.

Liability Coverage

By Texas law, you are required to purchase liability insurance whether you decide to purchase or lease a vehicle. But keep in mind, if you lease a vehicle, you will likely have to purchase liability coverage above the state minimums. Be sure to inquire with the dealer to determine what these minimums are before you sign the lease.

Collision and Comprehensive Coverage

While liability coverage is mandatory for all drivers, collision and comprehensive coverage are optional. However, if you lease a vehicle, your dealer might require you to carry both forms of coverage. Collision and comprehensive coverage extend beyond the protections of liability insurance by providing coverage for body damage, theft, and vandalism.

Gap Insurance

If you decide to lease a vehicle, it is strongly recommended that you consider adding gap coverage to your insurance policy. If you completely total your vehicle or it is stolen before your lease expires, gap insurance steps in to reimburse you for the full amount left on your contract. Gap insurance is useful because it prevents you from being shortchanged after an accident.

How an Independent Agent Can Help

Don’t let these extra insurance requirements scare you away from leasing a vehicle. Even if you plan on buying a vehicle, it is always a good idea to obtain additional forms of coverage through collision or comprehensive plans. If you contact us today, an independent agent can help you obtain coverage for your leased vehicle that is comparable to the cost of insuring a purchased vehicle.